At the beginning of this project i began looking at info graphics and wanted to create something a bit different to portray the current krebs cycle. I wanted something a bit quirky and began looking at circular info graphics. Throughout the project i was aiming the final product towards young adults. So wanted something mature and sophisticated, while also keeping their attention and not being boring. I liked the idea of using a circle and my initial ideas were to layer the different elements of the cycle alongside each other to show the evolution of the process.
Initially i had thought about printing on fabric but then i decided against that and opted for an interactive handout which had the elements of the process on acetate and the user would be able to flip each stage and only use the ones that they needed at that specific time. After my first prototype i was really unhappy with how it turned out. it looked awful and it was really flimsy and the hooks that i had used were really bulky so it wouldn’t neatly go inside a class work book. Also the whole design was messy and cluttered. With way to much information. At the beginning i wanted to include an explanation of what was happening at each point in the cycle but i couldn’t condense it down enough so after the prototype i decided to create something simple and symmetrical. It was good to see it printed and be able to feel it though. I did like the acetate because i felt it added another element and an extra texture but was unsure how to pursue it then i came across an image of a book with an acetate front and thought i could incorporate this idea and continue my flip design and but on the front cover and then the user could then write all their notes on the inside. I also thought this was a good idea because while studying at the Bauhaus last year i learnt how to book bind so it would be nice to be able to stitch my own book.
I had looked up information about ways to remember and help people learn and came across a term called chunking which was breaking down things into smaller parts so it was easier to remember. So this is what i was trying to do by having the acetate you could remove different elements when you didn’t need them. I also looked up a lot about colour psychology. after the prototype i realised that colour was not going to work that well with the acetate so i began thinking how i could incorporate colour and decided that i could print the background imagery onto card to be the front of the book. I choose some greens browns and oranges to begin with because, they were all quite positive colours which stimulated mental activity or was restful on the eye or was positive and earthy.
Throughout the whole project i feel that i struggled with the piece looking very messy possibly because i was trying to include so many elements and also because near the end i wanted to stay away from the traditional circle shape (now i know why most people stick to it!) I feel like i achieved a very clean design in the end through the use of grids during the process. I got some useful feedback during the project which helped me a lot, including that the layers was a good direction to go and then to de-clutter the whole piece and make it more symmetrical and pleasing to the eye. Looking back on my sketches i feel that my initial group of ideas all look similar to my final piece if they had all been combined. So maybe subconsciously i knew what i wanted to create the whole time!
Overall i feel the project went well, possibly if i knew a bit more about the krebs cycle and could have had a better understanding of it it would have went a bit better. But i feel like i created a really nice learning tool which is visually pleasing for the users. And i was also able to make it interactive which is what i really wanted from the beginning. Im pleased with the final book and really enjoyed being able to bind it myself.