Below are a few signs of how social media could be negatively impacting self-esteem, and what to do about it.
1. Social media disrupts your real-world thoughts and interactions.
2. Social media affects your mood.
3. Real-life interactions are difficult and being alone is uncomfortable.
4. You find yourself envious about what others are promoting.
5. You relish in others’ misfortune.
6. You measure your success by others.
7. You’re addicted to the attention and drama.
Here are some tips to boost your self-esteem outside the realm of social media:
- Try something new like volunteering.
- Change your diet or get active; join a gym.
- Groom yourself.
- Sit up straight and practice good posture.
- Read a book.
- Get involved in a local meetup group you’re interested in.
- Focus on person-to-person contact.
- Commit yourself mentally to positive change.
- Practice loving yourself everyday and being comfortable in your own skin.